Thursday, April 26, 2012

Feeling So Grateful Tonight

Today began very early for us at The Furners. We were running "just a titch" behind, but before we went up the elevator at the hospital I talked the guys into snapping a quick photo on the first floor. Here we are all trying not to appear too tired (haha), after a night of little sleep. Stepping foot outside the elevator on the third floor we hurried too our destination. We were quickly, and efficiently, settled into a room where we waited to speak with Nicks doctors. Nick got dressed into the fashionable gown (tied in the back) and slippers. We had a beautiful view outside and we watched the sun come up and land shinning brightly on the Salt Lake Temple downtown. For me is was majestic, while the guys were busier catching glimpses of buses of students (some being pretty women) being let off at the front door from the campus transit. At 7:15 Nicks room got super busy with anesthesiologists, a nurse and a doctor all at once. Nicks IV lines were in, and Dr. Jensen went over the details of, and consents for surgery. About that time a different nurse came into the room handing me a phone, and an ENT Intern with Dr. Orlandi also came in the room. It was Dr. Orlandi on the phone. He was telling me he would not make it to Nick's room before they took him to surgery. He asked if I had any questions. We spoke about a few things and then he was gone. It was time to tell Nick goodbyes along with well wishes and hugs. Nick was on his way to his life changing surgery. Steve and I went to the cafeteria and then we noticed the ENT Intern we had just seen in Nicks room just minutes before. The Interns name is Matt and he appeared to be looking for someone. I said his name, and he came to our table to talk with us. He indicated that there had been a change in plans and that Dr. Jensen would be doing the surgery without Dr. Orlandi and himself. Immediately I began to crying. Why was this happening? I had placed all of my trust in Dr. Orlandi and his ability to do the right thing for Nick. Part of the trust was pulling the team together. I liked Dr. Jensen but I also trusted Dr. Orlandi as Nicks surgeon. Matt could see how upset I was and I explained that the doctor patient relationship with Dr. Jensen formed because of Dr. Orlandi. It was Dr. Orlandi I had spoken on the phone to twice and exchanged several emails with concerning this surgery. Matt said that he would have Dr. Orlandi come and talk to us and that he was in meetings but he could be disturbed. To put it mildly I was upset as we walked into the surgery waiting room. I felt totally helpless. I began composing an email addressing it to myself like I have done before when I fell like I need to say something with no one to say it to. . I felt that although there are certain things you should be able to count on when someone you loves goes into surgery, like specific doctors carrying that surgery through. We heard our name in a page over the speaker just as hit the send button on my email.  We walked up to the message station in the waiting room and had a phone call from the nurse in the OR with Nick. He said surgery was going well and that both Dr. Jensen and Dr. Orlandi were there working on Nick. Apparently when it got time to actually do the surgery Dr. Orlandi was back in and much needed on this very important surgery. I was beginning to breathe again, more answered prayers. I have not asked for specific details at this time. I am just so grateful that both doctors were there as originally planned. Maybe I am strange but that was a Big Deal to me. I am feeling so blessed that together these brilliant doctors were able to do so much for my amazing son Nick.  Together they cleaned out and created much drainage in his frontal sinuses and sealed the CSF leak. When we first walked into his room in ICU he looked so good to me (remember I am his most avid fan). They asked him to wiggle his toes etc. I said his name and he gave it his all and opened his eyes. I missed it but Steve said he also made a face like he wanted a kiss. Gosh, we sure love our son!!!   He feel so honored to share in his journey the way we have. He has since been talking and passing all of their tests with flying colors. He is on oxygen to help draw out some of the effects of surgery. He has been eating ice chips, jello, and sips of water. He has also been cracking a few jokes, long standing jokes with the three of us. It's almost 8 PM and he are still here in ICU with him. We will be leaving in a bit so he can rest and will be back again tomorrow. Now the real healing begins. Thank you for caring, your prayers and your love. We are so much stronger, and blessed, having each one of you in our lives. Much Love, Shelly

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad the surgery went well.! I just can't imagine what you went through when you were told that Dr. Orlandi was not going to perform surgery... it made me cry. But I am so happy he was able to do the surgery after all. Nick and your family are in our prayers! Nobuko

    ReplyDelete